Setting up a community cinema, licences.

Rowen Memorial Hall’s Premises Licence (licence no. PLNA0005) issued by Conwy County Borough Council, includes permission for us to show films in public.
Check with Conwy Licensing, email

Recorded music licences
The old Performing Rights Society and Phonographic Performance Limited licences have been replaced by TheMusicLicence.  (This link is struck out but it does work). Our Music Licence allows us to play recorded music. Our licence costs about £200 per year. The price is based on the Memorial Hall’s annual income, and the Hall’s status as a registered charity.

Screening Licence
We have an Umbrella Licence no. 608048 from Motion Picture Licensing Company  This costs about £250 per year, and it allows us to show any number of films licenced by MPLC.   We simply buy a DVD.  This is much more economical than buying a Single title screening licence (STS) from FilmBankMedia for each showing, and less admin work for us.  The STS licence required us to send a return to FilmBankMedia after each showing.

Many thanks to Conwy County Borough Council Trading Standards and Licensing for their help.
Click here for Rowen Cinema page.


Compiled by Peter McFadden, Licensee and Treasurer, Rowen Memorial Hall
Updated November 2023

Comments are closed.