Rowen Gardening Club was founded in 2000 as a Rowen WI millennium project. Activities include:
- Evening meetings at Rowen Memorial Hall, with a wide variety of talks.
- Plant swaps at meetings.
- Visits to members’ gardens, always with a tea party.
- Harvest Supper
- Visits to gardens further afield.
- New Year lunch.
- Our meetings and visits are very sociable, and they include plenty of home-made cake.
- We welcome suggestions for speakers and garden visits.
- New members are welcome.
- You do not need to have a 4-acre garden, or even live in Rowen.
- We have members within a 10-mile radius of Rowen.
- Members can get a discount at some local garden centres, including 10% at Snowdonia Nurseries, Glan Conwy. Bodnant Plant Centre gives a 10% discount on plants to Bodnant Welsh Food Centre loyalty card holders.
Please phone 01492 650764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The picture shows an Apple Tree Pruning Workshop with Ian Sturrock Welsh Fruit Trees, at a member’s garden in 2015.
2017 summer programme
Wed 21st June Garden Visit to two linked NGS gardens, 33 Bryn Twr and Lynton, Abergele LL22 8DD. One formal garden with a stunning wisteria and the other “a plant collector’s heaven”.
Cost per person = £6 person includes both gardens. Refreshments extra.
Directions: From Market St, Abergele take A548 at traffic lights, signposted Llanfair TH. Bryn Twr is third road on left.
Car sharers, please give your driver £3.
Fri 30th June, 2pm to 4pm. Visit to Kath and Pete Barrar’s garden at River View, Ty’n y Groes, near Ty Gobaith. Refreshments provided. Roses and lavender in flower, and great views of the Afon Conwy. Suggested donation £2.50 to charity. Limited parking.
Wed 12th July at 2pm. Visit to Peter and Jane Barnes’ sculpture garden at Cae Asaph, Llanbedr y Cennin. Donation to a charity of Peter and Jane’s choice. 4×4 shuttle service from Tal y Bont Memorial Hall. See http://pete-sculptor.co.uk/
Wed 2nd August at 1.30pm. Visit to Mr and Mrs Manifold’s NGS garden, Tudor Cottage, Llysfaen, Colwyn Bay LL29 8LJ. Various levels, full of interest, statues, ponds and a folly. Lovely views. Steep steps and uneven paths, take care! £2 per person, tea and biscuits. See https://www.ngs.org.uk/?bf-garden=26021 Car share from Rowen, £3 per passenger.