Ysgol Rowen closed in 2011, and in 2013 Conwy County Borough Council announced that they had no further use for the Playing Field, next to Rowen Memorial Hall. They offered it to Rowen community on a 25-year lease @ £1 per year.
A public meeting decided to proceed with leasing the field. Subject to negotiation, the field would be leased by Rowen Memorial Hall.
- We agreed with Conwy that the lease would be increased to 99 years.
- We agreed with Conwy that the boundary fence would be replaced before handover.
- We agreed with the neighbouring landowners that “permissive access” could be provided from the field to Ty Gwyn Lane via a stile, and from the field to a neighbouring field via another stile, for the purpose of retrieving footballs. These are not public rights of way.
- Frank Chambers, Llannerch y Felin and Arthur Davies, Tan yr Allt rebuilt the derelict stone boundary wall. They did a superb job.
- Snowdonia National Park Authority provided two stiles.
- Rowen Community Group provided two picnic tables.
- The legal work was done by Gamlins, Llandudno. See gamlins.com for details of their charity support scheme.
- The lease was signed in December 2013. A very successful project, with goodwill all round.
- Conwy continue to cut the grass, and we pay them for this service.
- Public Liability Insurance for the field is now included in the Memorial Hall policy.
- Regular car boot sales are held on the field, in aid of local amenity improvements.
- An Easter Eggstravaganza at the Memorial Hall in 2014 raised £300 towards the Playing Field; and a Garden Party at Coed Mawr Hall raised £630.
- Rowen Carnival, Tal y Fan Fell Race and Children’s Sports are held on the field every July.
- A Barbeque and Music Event organized by Graham Morris and family in 2014 raised £800 towards Air Ambulance Wales.
- In 2014 and 2015, we hosted the V3K Welsh 3000s vegan mountain race HQ and race finish. The event has now outgrown Rowen. See vegan-welsh-3000s.co.uk
- The Playing Field is available for anyone to use.
- Unauthorized motor vehicles are not allowed on the field.
- Dogs on leads are allowed on the field.